OUR BLAWG!!!

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Flying fish and flying v's.

Denise and I have been complaining to one another that life is pretty boring right now. She has been mired in preparation for her practical (written on Friday, we're awaiting the results with bated breath (for an excellent explanation of why it's "bated breath" and not "baited breath", look here: http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/writing-for-business/baited-breath-or-bated-breath/)), while I have been spending quite a lot of time playing Zelda: Twilight princess. Strangely, discussing my latest sword upgrade does not make for interesting conversation. Fortunately, two new developments have made life slightly, if not exponentially, more exciting.

Firstly, I went to the Portsmouth market for the first time since we returned. I was excited to find out that tomatoes and breadfruit seem to be back in season (for those not keeping track: tomatoes and breadfruit went out of season like two months ago. The impression I'm getting is that there are multiple seasons for several foods throughout the year), but more importantly there was a new kind of fish. The flying fish!

Weeeeeeeeeee! Chomp chomp chomp.

I didn't even know flying fish was available in Dominica. It's a big deal in Barbados (it's on their currency), but I assumed that Dominica was too far north. I've had battered flying fish before, and it was tasty, but I'm excited for this one because I bought three pounds - about 12 small fish - all of which will have to be gutted. Denise, whose background is far more interesting than mine, already knows how to do that, and will be teaching me soon. Yum.

Secondly, our hockey season started today. We happened to play against a pretty aggressive, obnoxious team, but did pretty well despite the loss. I have higher hopes for this season than last, after our team was dismantled by a series of crappy miscommunications. It's pretty exhausting, playing in 30+ degree sun, so I'll have to get in shape. That is, unless, they get going on that indoor rink here. Then we can do this:

Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack!
We've got another game come Tuesday. Hopefully we'll rock it.

3 comments:

  1. I liked the bated breath part - I think that's what I should do more of in my spare time - seek out useless information that only a McLean would be interested in. And then, to show the Mighty Ducks going down the ice in a flying v... how many of your readers know/ knew that? You are wonderfully obscure. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with derek/dad up there.. lovin the new vocab.. i like learning new stuff every day haha whip that new team into shape mark! especially that scruffy dark haired dude. he should work on his cardio more too.. BEAT HIIIIIMMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the Mighty Ducks obscure? Sad day to realize I'm as weird as Mark.

    ReplyDelete