(Anecdote: There is a theory that Dominica literally speeds everything up, including relationships. So, if you're a couple who've been here for four months, by the end of it you're where you would be after a year: either stronger or further apart. It's like a pressure cooker.)
I get the sense that the search will take years, and so in the mean time I look for happy mediums. Meanwhile, listed from most important to less important, here is my list of criteria:
1. A slim case. Ideally, between 4-6mm.
2. Leather band, preferably brown.
3. White or cracked marble face.
4. Roman numerals or, if unavailable, notches. Absolutely no regular numbers.
5. Slim long and small hands.
6. A second hand.
7. The date, though not the day.
Below is the closest I've come. The only reason why I won't buy it is that it doesn't have a slim case, which is a deal breaker.
Of course, I won't invest a ton in anything right now, mainly because I'm poor, but also because anything I bring back here will get damaged.
So, if you see anything like the picture above, but super slim, please give me a shout.